Wart Remedy that Actually Works

The kids and I were going through old pictures today when we ran across a picture of the worst wart ever. You’ll have to click “more” if you want to see it — don’t look if you’ve got a strong gag reflex. And actually it wasn’t the worst wart ever, now that I think of it. He had some on his feet that were bigger than a fifty cent piece. (Bah! And after all that I forgot to add a More link so it displayed the whole thing! d’oh!)

But anyway, the whole reason I’m posting this is because we’d forgotten how bad it was, and what a miracle it was we found a remedy that actually works. And since someone had asked the other day how we got rid of his warts, I figured I’d post the solution here. If you want it and don’t mind the gross picture, click ahead!

You’ll need ALL of these things (getting the right combination is important)

– Apple Cider Vinegar
– Cotton Swabs
– Duct Tape
– Clear Nail Polish
– cheap, DISPOSABLE emery boards (a pack of 5 from Sally’s would work)
– hand sanitizer

On the first night:

1) Lightly buff the surface of the wart with an emery board. Wash away the dust and use some hand sanitizer, and throw away the board.
2) Break the cotton off the top of a swab. You should have a ball about the same size as the wart. In Ethan’s case, we had to use small cotton balls instead.
3) Dampen the cotton with the vinegar, put it on the wart, and duct-tape it in place, sealing off the edges as best as you can so you can sleep.

In the morning, remove the duct tape, wash everything and let it dry, and then give the wart a few coats of nail polish.

At night, pick off the nail polish and put on a fresh swab of vinegar with your duct tape.

After a day or two, you’ll notice some black specks on the surface of the wart. It’s dying. My son said this hurts a bit.

Keep repeating this process for a few days until the wart turns completely black. Then skip the apple-cider vinegar swab and duct-tape routine. Don’t worry about picking off the nail polish either at this point. Just add a fresh coat every day. After a few days, the wart will fall off and should be gone for good.

These are some things we had tried:

– Salicylic Acid Patches
– Compound W
– Freeze-it-Yourself Kits
– Freezing it at the Doctor’s Office
– Lemon Juice
– Wrapping in Duct tape only
– Wrapping in Duct tape With salicylic acid patches
– Tagamet / Zantac (supposedly can wake up a dozing immune system)
– Burning it with the end of a still-hot match
– Slicing the top off it with a razor (I think this is what made it bigger. NOT my idea and I don’t recommend it)

He even tried the suggestion to rub the wart several times per day with a washcloth and repeat, “Wart, Go away.”

None of that worked. The vinegar solution caused the wart to turn black and die in a matter of days, and within 2 weeks the wart was gone completely. In fact, even his smaller, non-treated warts disappeared quickly as well after that.

Anyway. Here’s the picture of the wart about to die. Hopefully yours isn’t this nasty. If it is though, take hope .. and start using some vinegar!

Gross wart on my kid's hand

A huge wart dying: the black specks are a tell-tale sign that the wart is going away. It was completely gone a few days after this.

85 thoughts on “Wart Remedy that Actually Works

1. velda says:

Oh, I forgot to mention something pretty cool: I was only treating the warts on his hands, because his feet-warts were too painful and I didn’t want to torture him until I knew it would work. So when the warts on his hands were entirely cleared up, I had him take his socks off so I could start working on the soles of his feet. (sounds funny that I say I had him take his socks off, but due to the hideousness of his warts, I’d insisted he wear socks 24×7 except while he showered). But lo and behold, THOSE warts were gone as well, without even having been treated! I guess his body sorted out how to get rid of them and then just attacked them wherever they happened to be.

2. velda says:

3. simone says:

Failte!!
    My name is Simone Best from irelad and ive had a wart for a couple of years and i feel its always affeted me… sounds silly im a hairdresser and im always conscience of my fingers…. just started acv the night before without the polish should i be using this??? anyhow its started to go black and blistery did this happen to you and should i file still““/
    kind regards
    Simone

• velda says:

I’d definitely do the polish thing. We’d tried the apple cider vinegar alone and it wasn’t enough to kill the wart all of the way… the nail polish definitely helped. I wouldn’t worry about filing though if you’ve already got black spots. If it stops looking like it’s about to die… or in other words if it starts to get all pink and tough again, pull out the emery boards and stay consistent with the apple cider vinegar and nail polish, and it should go away. :)

4. lynn says:

I have had a wart on my middle finger for going on 4 years now and have been trying everything to get rid of this nasty looking thing. Last night I tried the ACV with the tape, following your directions. I had been using the compound W bandage for them with the medication inside. Well when I put the tape on with the ACV the pain was too great, is this normal for it to hurt so bad? I could only take it for about 2 hours and it woke me from my sleep and had to take it off. I washed the area and put on the nailpolish. Should I try to repeat it again tonight? Thanks

• velda says:

My kid said it hurt quite a bit but not as bad as having the wart frozen off. Also I think you’ll want to be sure you’re ONLY putting the apple cider vinegar on the wart itself. No need to put it on your unaffected skin. So make sure the cotton ball / q-tip top you’re using is the same size as the wart.

But yeah, I would still hang in there and do the ACV nightly and nail polish daily (picking it off again at night) until it’s totally black, then just stick with the nail polish for a few days without picking it off, and the wart should fall off after a few days. Let me know how it works for you!

5. Tony says:

Buy an aloe plant. Break a small piece off. I like to peel the aloe open and use a knife to extract the gel I then spread it with the knife onto the affected area (you can even put a chunk of the gel on it). Then cover it with a band aid. Repeat this process. You should notice a difference in the first day or two. I’ve been doing it for less than a week I had a real small one (less than 1mm, that i just noticed) disappear, one on my finger (about 1mm that I’ve had for probably a year or two) turn brown under it and decrease dramatically in size, one (about the same size,that I’ve had for probably a year) on the top of the big toe start decreasing in size, and then one (on the back of my forearm that I’ve had for years) about 3 or 4 mm it is about to fall off.

I also decided to use a nail file, when it is completely dry, to rid the top layer of skin on it. Then washed thoroughly with hand soap to sanitize and not spread it. This will let the aloe penetrate it and possibly get rid of it faster.

6. Nicole says:

We tried everything to get of one wart on my son’s elbow and one on his hand (home freezing kit, Compound W, duct tape, tea tree oil, grapefruit seed oil, patches, freezing it off at the doctor’s …). It just kept looking like it was going and would then reappear. I stumbled across the ACV cure and decided to try it. We just put an ACV-soaked q-tip piece on the wart, covered it with a thin layer of gauze and covered it with waterproof medical tape overnight. In the morning, we removed the medical tape, swabbed with ACV and left it to dry. We have been doing the swabbing during the day and the bandaging over an ACV-soaked piece of cotton at night. In just two days, we started to see the little black bits come to the surface. We are still working on the warts. It has only been 4 days since we started. I haven’t tried the nail polish but might start to do that once we see more of the black bits come to the surface. I didn’t like the idea of putting yet another chemical-laden substance on his young skin, so I am giving just pure ACV a fighting chance. It seems to be working so far. Oh, and it didn’t hurt my son at all the first day, it stung the second day and it hurts less and less each time (nothing so bad he couldn’t handle it). I read elsewhere that if it stings it’s because the wart is fighting back and there’s “action” going on there. So, I guess the stinging is good because it means that the wart is trying to survive but is being attacked. Once it no longer stings, it’s supposed to be on its way out.

• velda says:

Supposedly, the nail polish helps “suffocate” the wart and also helps to keep it, as it’s being destroyed, from spreading to anyone else. But if you’re seeing little black spots you’re on the right track. My son’s wart went entirely black within a day or two of the black spots first appearing, so if they remain tiny black spots or if they go away, I’d recommend trying the nail polish. Good luck!

7. Katherine says:

I have been using the ACV remedy, but my wart has become an open sore! It hasn’t turn black either. Do you think I should continue to use the ACV and nail polish, or should I wait until it heals?

8. Velda says:

I noticed this is getting a lot of traffic lately.

Don’t use this method to clear tiny warts on your face. If you have warts on your face, find a wart somewhere else that is hidden, and treat that instead.

9. black crusty and dry wart says:

i have the same wart im hispanic and have had it for tree months and now its starting to open up like a flower with layers i just came from the doctors and they froze it off my has already turned black crusty and dry before going to the doctors but im going to try this since they told me i would have to go every week to get it froze off but im not willing to pay every visit so wish me luck

10. sharon says:

i need help hsd warts ever since i can remember
    tried everthing went to hundreds of dermatoogist they cant help me
    i will start on wednesday i just hope it isint that
    sore cant stand pain
    regards sharon thanx for remedy

11. Cody says:

I have been using Neem oil, I put a drop or two on my wart and then out a band aid on it . I noticed a my wart which at spilt open in 4 ways healed instantly , and now my skin color is returning to normal and all the black dots are appearing . I think it’s actually working .

12. Margaret says:

I have been battling warts since I was in high school and nothing helped me except burning them off at a doc office.. Ouch.. The freezing just made them grow..! I’m so going to try your method I hope it works for me :) thank u for sharing

13. Missy says:

We do the apple cider vinegar trick but put an aspirin on top and put a bandaid or duct tape over it all. My little girl’s wart turned black over night using that method.

14. elizabeth says:

I just started the ACV treatment last night and my wart is already completely black! It was very painful, but not as painful as the doctor! I am so excited! I hope it works

• Velda says:

Yay! If it’s completely black now you just have to keep up the nail polish part of the regimen. Let me know how it goes!

15. Melissa says:

Why does nail polish work my son has a planter wart on his soul of his foot hurts so badly made an apt with doctor we did the acv and it made his skink turn yellow and the wart white ;(

• Velda says:

Keep going then, but try not to get the ACV on his skin. The nail polish helps. I’m not sure why. I would guess:
      – it keeps air off the wart
      – it keeps the wart “contained”
      – when you pick off the nail polish, you take a top layer of skin, further exposing the wart to the ACV.

Care to try it with the nail polish too & let me know how it goes?

16. Mimi says:

My ten year old is very sensitive to any sort of pain, so we didn’t pursue the ACV (although it worked great on my daughter’s plantar wart) treatment. Instead, we made a paste of castor oil and baking soda, covered four different warts on his hand with water proof band-aids. I changed the dressing every morning and evening. I also purchased those band-aids with the salicylic acid wart treatment and would use them for daytime use if we were in a hurry. One wart has fallen off, and the three others (large and one rivaled your son’s in size and appearance) are turning black. While not quite as fast a treatment as the ACV treatment, it seems to be working. Best of all, it is a perfect alternative for a kid who doesn’t tolerate pain well. Minimal discomfort, and he has been a trouper once he began seeing results. Hopefully it will be over soon.

• Velda says:

Sounds great, Mimi! I’m glad that’s working for your kiddo.

I’m trying to figure out what to do with a series of tiny warts on my face. The ACV was not good for those as it just spread and left marks that stayed for weeks on end. Any ideas there?

• Velda says:

Great! It’s working then. Are you doing the nail polish part of the treatment too? Basically you put a fresh layer of nail polish on every morning after your ACV treatment. Pick the nail polish off again before you do the ACV at night.

When the warts are totally black, stop the ACV treatments, and just put on new layer of nail polish every day. You don’t have to pick it off in between. The warts will fall off in a few days on their own.

17. Mackenzie Mitchell says:

Hi! Thanks for such a great post! would this work on a wart on the ball of my foot? Or do you think it would hurt too much?

-Mackenzie

• Velda says:

My kid said that this treatment does hurt, but it hurt a lot less than the failed attempts at freezing or cutting his warts away. If you try it, let me know how it goes.

18. Mackenzie Mitchell says:

Hi! Sorry if this is way too personal, but I thought it might benefit others! I’ve had the wart on my foot for about 2-3 years now but it wasn’t getting any bigger, so I never really did anything about it. It just recently started to spread and I got a little worried. I decided to give this apple cider vinegar thing a shot and was extremely pleased with the results! It’s been 5 days I believe, and it’s been working! Whoo!! To be completely honest, I forgot about the nail polish part of the treatment until re-reading this just now (I’ll have to try that tonight!). I have just been soaking a cotton ball in the ACV, ringing out the excess (so I don’t make ACV puddles all around my house), and duct taping all around it. I’ll leave that on for 1-2 days and then when I remove the duct tape, I cut off the black specks with sanitized nail clippers (a little grotesque, I apologize), and repeat the process. The cutting part is a little painful, because there are so many nerve endings on the bottom of your feet, but it’s not unbearable. Overall, I haven’t experienced too much pain with this… the exceptions being when the ACV goes onto the wart immediately after I cut the black specks off and when I stand with all my weight directly on the ball of my foot (where the wart is located).

19. Callieulmer318 says:

I’ve had a wart on my knuckle since middle school(I’m in tenth grade now) it never bothered me until I went into high school and felt extremely self conscious about it. I tired everything doctors, freezing it, bland aids, and just plain ducktape at night. I’m glad I came across this cause it seems to be working! I also have warts on the inside of my hands as wel I’ve been doing the treatment to those too. The one on my knuckle doesn’t seem to be turning as black more more white it’s red around the wart and my doctor said thats a sign of it going away. I’ll keep trying the treatment so far it’s good results!

20. Maria says:

I just found this and I am trying it out! The wart I have is on my finger so my only question is, can you get the wart wet after using the nail polish? My hands are in water a lot and I am just wondering if that can affect anything or will the nail polish still do it’s job? Thank you!

• Velda says:

Hi! Sorry, I thought I’d replied earlier to this. How did it go, Maria? And yes, you can get it wet. The nail polish seals it off.

21. Rana says:

Thanks a lot for the great info I’ve read a lot about using vinegar but no one mentioned how. I have 7warts on my left foot and I started using your method.thanx again

22. Rana says:

Hi I’m still using vinegar it looks like I need more time every thing you mentioned happened about the changes but slowly when it will disappear I will tell you

• Velda says:

Um, not sure. Duct tape keeps the moisture in (which you want) while bandaids are supposed to be breathable.

Also, I think I’ve said this before, but this method was way too harsh for facial warts. I’m looking for a good fix for those currently…

• Velda says:

If it has a hard surface, yes. If it’s soft enough for the vinegar to get through, don’t worry about filing. And stop after it turns black.

If you file it, buy a pack of cheapie baby emry boards so you can throw them away every time.

• Rhonda says:

Thanks! I’m trying tonight, but only have band aids to hand. And, my wart is on my finger tip. I promise to never ever do this on my face.

• Velda says:

You can use vaseline to protect the skin immediately around the wart, too. Good luck! Keep it up and let me know how it goes.

• Velda says:

Heheh, no worries. I went back and realized I had put that in the post. I learned the hard way and had four big red spots on my forehead for months! Spots are gone now. The warts there remain though.

23. Rhonda says:

Worked like a charm…in under a week! My wart was two years old. It also did not hurt, but I guess it kid of does for others. Anyway, I had no clean duct tape, and used band aids, but it worked!!!

24. Kathy says:

Hi Velda. Glad I found this site. Just started yesterday with your plan to remove two plantars warts on my son’s foot. Today was the first morning we put on the nail polish and when he came home from school we were going to “peel the polish off” and redo the ACV/Duct Tape combo. I put on about 4-5 coats of polish this morning, but we couldn’t even see any polish this afternoon. We tried to peel it, but I think we were just peeling skin – we couldn’t see any polish. I don’t know if it wore off during the day, or it is there, but just hidden. I guess I thought there would be a nice thick, clear, round section of polish that would peel off. So, how many layers did you put on? The polish I had happened to be a “quick dry” brand, so I wonder if another brand would be thicker? We are hopeful this process will work! Any tips you can give on the nail polish part would be great!. Thanks so much!

• Velda says:

Hi Kathy, I just used a regular cheapy-brand nail polish for my kid. We were treating a wart that was on his wrist. I’m guessing your son’s polish wore off on his socks? You might want to go ahead and add a few extra coats.

Anyway, part of the point of peeing the polish is to peel off a thin layer of skin with it, so it sounds like you’re on the right track anyway. Let me know how it goes!

25. Marie Coco says:

Hi Velda,
    I used the ACV on a wart I have, but did not know about the clear nail polish. When the wart turned black I tried to peel it off. I think I peeled it off too early, as it looks like there is still some of the wart underneath (the skin is irritated, too). Do you recommend continuing with the ACV?

26. Nichole says:

I have two warts on my toe, one is the size of an eraser, the other the size of a pin head. I have put duck tape on it when it was just the big one.I have also tried freezing them with compound w twice. It’s been about 5 weeks since the last try. I went swimming a week ago and I looked at it when I was in the pool and it was soft and white, after swimming they are now both black and hard, are they dying? I would really like to get rid of them because the bigger one can be very painful. Can you help?

27. Kelly says:

Is the nail polish safe to use on your skin and the warts? After they turn run black how many days do you put the nail polish on for? Also what is the purpose for the polish?

• Velda says:

Hi Kelly, these sound like great questions for a doctor. I’m just posting what worked for us.

I can say that in my experience, we kept putting polish on until the wart just fell off, and that all these years later my son’s skin is fine. And I would imagine that the nail polish helps dry out and cover the wart, and when you pick it off (before the wart turns black) it takes a little layer of the wart with it.

• Kelly says:

Ok thank you. I was just reading some of the comments above and I know that a lot of these are just home remedies. the wart has turned black and I see a lot of people wait for it to harden and then they try to pick it off but I’ve seen in other places that when you peel the nail polish off it takes the root and wart with it. So I was just wondering. I am using the ACV treatment and it seems to be working. since you guys use the nail polish how many days did you put it on after the wart turned black?

28. Mark says:

I have been trying to remove a wart on my finger for months. I tried all of the remedies
    that you did with your son. Turned to the internet and found your site. I agree with your son, the application of the cotton swab was definitely uncomfortable it did work. Within the first week the wart had turned black and I could tell was going away. A couple of weeks later just waiting for the scab to come off. Just wanted to take the time to thank you.