It’s official, and I’m terrified. But to put things in perspective:
- The current commute takes 2 hours
- Homework has been taking at least 3 hours per day
- We already spend time learning outside the school/homework framework
- We’re only required to hold school 5.5 hours per day
The hours are there; they just need to be reallocated. Maybe with a different homework setup my kids can actually have time to hang out with friends or even play sports.
What else do we have going for us? Let’s see:
- These kids are great self-learners
- I’ve always enjoyed teaching them everything I can
- They’re already well ahead of the state requirements
- I plan to put them back into the system for High School so they can get their diplomas and proms
If this doesn’t go well, I can work on enrolling them in a closer charter school or even send them over to the middle school nearby. We have several options within a few miles.
But if it does go well, and I am hoping it will, these kids will have more room to stretch and do amazing things.
All of this starts next Monday. Got any tips you’d like to share?