It’s official, and I’m terrified. But to put things in perspective:
- The current commute takes 2 hours
- Homework has been taking at least 3 hours per day
- We already spend time learning outside the school/homework framework
- We’re only required to hold school 5.5 hours per day
The hours are there; they just need to be reallocated. Maybe with a different homework setup my kids can actually have time to hang out with friends or even play sports.
What else do we have going for us? Let’s see:
- These kids are great self-learners
- I’ve always enjoyed teaching them everything I can
- They’re already well ahead of the state requirements
- I plan to put them back into the system for High School so they can get their diplomas and proms
If this doesn’t go well, I can work on enrolling them in a closer charter school or even send them over to the middle school nearby. We have several options within a few miles.
But if it does go well, and I am hoping it will, these kids will have more room to stretch and do amazing things.
All of this starts next Monday. Got any tips you’d like to share?
Congratulations! Very exciting.
Oh, and as far as tips? I’ve got lots, but mostly: give yourself lots of grace. Chill. You’ll have bad days and good days, days when you wish you weren’t homeschooling. But in the long run, it’s all good 🙂
Good advice. Thanks 🙂
Only one. Deschool. 🙂 It’s important. Also and have fun. I hope you enjoy it! Oh, ok..another piece of advice-you will have good days and bad days and that is ok.