This year I’m going for simple and flexible, but daily actions nonetheless. Every day I want to:
- Finish something I’ve been meaning to do
- Show love to God, to others, and even to myself
- Show gratitude: take care of and joy in the blessings I’ve got
- Let go of something that held me back the day before
- Keep going with the things that are getting me closer to where I want to be
They say it’s not really a goal if it isn’t specific and measurable, but I think I can put the specific and measurable into each day. I also think I could put some measurability into a few goals: things I know I should be doing more often but I don’t always take the time to do, like:
- visit the temple (1x done!)
- have friends over for dinner (5x done!)
- read a book just for fun (1x done!)
- complete a minor home improvement project (1x done!)
- run 5K (1x done!)
- aqua zumba! (2x done!)
I’m sorry if this sounds pathetic, but: if I did each of those at least 6 times this year, I’d do as well if not better than I did in 2016. That’d be worth it, right? And if I get them all done sooner than later, maybe the habits will carry on through the year.
My hope is that with those actions, at the end of the year I’ll have a home that’s a bit homier, a body that’s a bit healthier, and relationships that are stronger. I’m hoping for better discipline, a sharper mind, and a bigger heart. I’m hoping that these small steps will add up to a very happy new year indeed.
How about you?