I made this recipe up for the Pillsbury Bakeoff. I didn’t win anything, but they ARE good. You can add chopped Jalapeno too, if you like it spicier.
1 8oz package softened Neufchatel or cream cheese
1 4oz can Old El Paso® Chopped Green Chiles
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 16.3 oz can Pillsbury® Grands! Biscuits Flaky Butter Tastin’ refrigerated flaky layers biscuits
2 tablespoons Corn meal
1 cup Old El Paso® Salsa Thick N Chunky Make Mine Medium or flavor of choice
1. Blend the cheese, chiles, garlic, lime, and salt. Chill this mixture in the freezer while completing the next two steps, or for make-ahead preparations, cover and refrigerate for up to two days before continuing.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 13×18 inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with corn meal.
3. Separate each biscuit into two pieces along the layers and flatten them slightly to make 16 rounds.
4. Form each empanadita by placing 1 rounded tablespoon of the chilled cheese mixture in the center of a round, folding the dough around the filling to create a semi-circle pocket, and crimping the edges closed with a fork.
5. Bake for 10-14 minutes until golden-brown and crispy.
6. Arrange on a serving platter around a small bowl of salsa. Serve warm. Makes 16.